Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish comprises, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Ozona and Its Mission, Good Shepherd in Sheffield.
The existence of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Ozona, Texas dates back beyond the 1950s. Prior to this time, pioneering families have it that priests would come on a monthly basis to celebrate the Liturgy and the Sacraments with the people. In the early 1930's, with resident Franciscan priests around (1937-1960),Liturgy and the Sacraments were celebrated in a wooden building. Records in the Church in Sonora has it that the initial Church property was bought by Father Peter Baquet, pastor of Sacred Heart Church in San Angelo, Texas. Following the acquisition of the property, Father Howard Myer worked hard to build the Church and it was completed in 1954, through the financial support of the entire community, beginning in 1953.
Coincidentally, testing the security and stability of the new Church, that same year a great flood which swept from Curry Draw hit Crockett County severely. The flood, besides affecting many properties in the county, did not spare most of the Church property that stood in its way. The Church, though a beautiful edifice, still wears the effects of the flood.
Pioneering families include, though are not limited to, Delgado, Tambunga, Vitela, Reina, DeHoyose, Martinez, Guerra, Sanchez, Vargas, Rodriguez and Borrego. Presently, each of these families are represented through their children and grandchildren, who continue to live the faith actively in various ministries.
Many priests have served this community over the years. Among them are Fathers: Pailine Sokol (1919-1931), Several Unknown priests (1931-1932), Felipe Calle (1932-1933), M. Arconarda (1933-1934), J. C. Ziento (1934-1935), J.J. Neff (1935-1936), Virgil Kaiser, OFM (1936-1937), Bennet Rothan, OFM (1937-1940), Carol Meyer, OFM, (1940-1942), Frederic Doeren, OFM (1942-1947), Ronnie Einhaus, OFM (1947-1951), Howard Meyer, OFM (1951-1957), Connel Lynch, OFM (1957-1960), Anthony Kroell (1961-1967), Louis Moeller (1967-1971),James Plagens (1971-1976), Larry Droll (1977-1980),Jim Chaumount (1980-1983), Richard Atenbaugh (1983-1986), Alberto Matta Tijerina (1987-1988), William Du Buisson, OMI (1988-1997), Quirino Cornejo (1991-1992), George Chengazhacheril (1993 - 3months) Ray Gallagher (1993-1997), Henry Laenen, OMI (1997-2003) Russell Shultz and Gabriel Benje (years of service unknown), Serafin Avenido (2003-2007), Rodney White (2007-2009), Felix Okeke (2009 for 3 months), Nilo Nalugon (2010-Dec. 28, 2014), Patrick Akpanobong from Dec. 29, 2014 - September 13, 2015 and Bernard Getigan from September 14, 2015 - .
(History compiled from - 50 Years: the Story of San Angelo Diocese and Parish Archives)